The EABC Food and Beverages Working Group comprises of European businesses in Thailand that operate in the areas of food, alcoholic beverage and non-alcoholic beverages industries. Improvement in business climate and growth of trade and investment opportunities between the Thailand the EU is expected since the Thai-EU free trade agreement (FTA) talks are expected to resume soon. Currently, agri-food trade is accounted for 8%-9% of the total value of trade between European Union (EU) and Thailand (amounted $47.3 billion in 2018).
Objectives of the Food& Beverages Working Group
The Working Group’s mission is to lead on policy advocacy and pursue partnerships with government and non-government stakeholders aimed at enhancements of the industries’ overall trade and investment opportunities, level playing field and ease of doing business. We aim to be a thought leader and producer of attractive and value-adding solutions to Food and Beverages issues; a builder of consensus in the European Business Community and wider.
Some key policies that the WG is focused on is listed below;
- Revisit Alcohol control laws such as e-commerce bans
- Reduce Alcohol related ham through education campaigns
- Restructure excise taxation to create sustainable revenue stream
- Optimise import duties on imported wins and spirits to attract high yield tourist
- Revise Foreign Business Act
- Fastrack Regulatory reform – product approval legislation
- To achieve Food security and lift up quality and effectiveness in production of agricultural products to comply with international standards e.g., European green Deals
- Support EU-FTA to minimise tariffs and barriers to facilitate trade and business activities