The EABC Food and Beverages Working Group comprises of European businesses in Thailand that operate in the areas of food, alcoholic beverage and non-alcoholic beverages industries. Improvement in business climate and growth of trade and investment opportunities between the Thailand the EU is expected since the Thai-EU free trade agreement (FTA) talks are expected to resume soon. Currently, agri-food trade is accounted for 8%-9% of the total value of trade between European Union (EU) and Thailand (amounted $47.3 billion in 2018).
Objectives of the Food& Beverages Working Group
The Working Group’s mission is to lead on policy advocacy and pursue partnerships with government and non-government stakeholders aimed at enhancements of the industries’ overall trade and investment opportunities, level playing field and ease of doing business. We aim to be a thought leader and producer of attractive and value-adding solutions to Food and Beverages issues; a builder of consensus in the European Business Community and wider.
Some key policies that the WG is focused on is listed below;
- Revisit Alcohol control laws such as e-commerce bans
- Reduce Alcohol related ham through education campaigns
- Restructure excise taxation to create sustainable revenue stream
- Optimise import duties on imported wins and spirits to attract high yield tourist
- Revise Foreign Business Act
- Fastrack Regulatory reform – product approval legislation
- To achieve Food security and lift up quality and effectiveness in production of agricultural products to comply with international standards e.g., European green Deals
- Support EU-FTA to minimise tariffs and barriers to facilitate trade and business activities
Information about Working Group Chair
Ms. Khemika Ratanakul has worked in public affairs, as a policy specialist, in addition to working in the FMCG industry for more than two decades. She has always been actively participating in both the EABC IPR Working Group and the EABC Food and Beverages Working Group. Currently, she is the Public Affairs Manager at Diageo Moet Hennessy (Thailand) Ltd. Most recently she was elected the President of Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association (TABBA).